OPC UA is a communication protocol, developed by the OPC Foundation. It enables simplified communication for industrial machines. For innius we've created a component that publishes OPC tag values to innius.
First you are going to need a connection with the OPC UA Server. For this you will need an OPC UA Server, from Siemens for example, depending on your type of machine.
Now you can create/edit the sensors in innius. The important thing here is that the sensor's "Physical ID" (1) in innius, must match the actual sensor's OPC UA tag name.
The innius OPC UA connector
After you've created your machine (click here to read how), the next step is to create the connector. This is done by following these steps:
- Go to the innius Admin app.
- Click the button 'Add Connection' (2).
This opens the connector configuration page.
- Give the connector a clear name (3) and click 'Next'.
- In the next step, Select connection method, choose the option 'Connect using the OPC UA protocol'. You also need to enter the address of the OPC UA Server (4).
- Next, select the machines (5) created in innius which are connected through the connector. You can select multiple machines defined in innius if applicable. Click button 'Next'
- Now the connector is created, so the next step is to download the connector, by clicking the download button (6).
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to the Windows device where the OPC Client should run.
- Extract the .zip file.
- Start the command prompt with Administrator role (otherwise you'll not be able to install the Windows service).
- Copy the connection command which is displayed via the copy button or download it as a text file (7).
- Paste the command in the command prompt and execute this. This will install the OPC UA Connector as a Windows service.
- Check in the innius Admin app that the machine connection status icon has changed to 'Connected' (8)
- Check in the innius Insight app that the sensor values are coming in.
- Congratulations! Your machine is connected to innius!
If something is wrong with the connector, you can use the Windows Event viewer to track the errors and see what is wrong. You can use this information if you need to contact innius for support.
Also, because it is a Windows service, you can manage it. When the PC is restarted due to Windows updates or something, the innius OPC UA Connector will be restarted automatically as well.